Saturday, August 16, 2008

Pleasantly Surprised

The other day I was playing around with the resident 2 yr old and ended up pulling the muscle in my shoulder. The backside, the one that somehow is connected to your lungs. I say this because every time I try to take a deep breath it hurts like crazy. I tried for a week to make it better myself with the heating pad, topical rubs, hot soaks in the tub but nothing worked. I had to face the fact that I was going to need medical intervention.

This scared me because hubby and I don’t have insurance. We have the kids on a program called Healthy Families. Which is a low cost health insurance program subsided by the state. Great program but I went off topic so let me get back to my story…

I went in with the assumption that I was going to get less than average treatment due to lack of insurance and to my surprise I was treated the same if not better than if I had the best coverage money could buy.

This doctor at our local medical center went above and beyond to help me out. She gave me samples of patches to put on my shoulder. She even called to see where the cheapest place to get prescriptions filled was.

In a world where what you see from your fellow human being is narcissistic the majority of the time it was so nice to be pleasantly surprised by the complete opposite.

No comments: