Saturday, January 2, 2010

$20.00 to my name and no payday until January, 30th

Breaks down, that’s five dollars a week. I did go to the WIC office to see if we could participate in the program and thank goodness we qualify. I got my first set of vouchers good from 12/30 – 1/11 here is what we get.

WIC Food Package

Milk- 3 gallons + 1 Quart
2 loaves 100% whole wheat bread, whole wheat tortillas or corn tortillas
36 oz cereal
1 dozen eggs
1 lb. cheese
1 lb beans or 18 oz. jar Peanut Butter
2 -64 oz 100% Juice frozen or bottled
$6.00 Voucher for fresh, frozen, or canned vegetables

With a little creativity I think I can make this last the month. I have powdered milk in the freezer, so if I make 50/50 milk (half gallon fresh milk mixed with half a gallon re-constituted powder milk) I can get 2 gallons from 1 gallon of fresh that will make 6 gallons for the month that will be little more than a gallon a week.

Since all the kids eat breakfast and lunch at school I think I will get it in tortillas so that I can make tacos, enchiladas, and other Mexican favorites the whole family loves.

I think I can get the most out of that $6.00 vegetable voucher if I am smart. I can get canned vegetables. Tomatoes, green beans and corn are pretty affordable. Cabbage, onions, carrots and celery are good staples that are usually at an affordable price. I did read that you can go over on your vegetable voucher and pay the difference with cash.

Making a dozen eggs and a pound of cheese stretch a month is going to be hard. I guess we just wont use as much as we use to. That is all we can do.

I checked the propane tank, we are at 30% it’s a bit low but if we only use it for hot water and cooking we should get by. I just need to make sure that we can get fuel in February.

No comments: