Sunday, January 18, 2009

Update

Oh my gosh where has the time gone? I started working as a Sub in the school kitchens and lost track of everything I was starting or working on. 2008 in a re cap could be summed up in one word HECTIC!

2oo9 is starting out just as hectic as 2008 left...

The girls are still busy with School, 4H, GKA, & Sports. Shannon ( the baby) had her third birthday! They don't stay babies long. On the baby front my little sister had a baby boy on Thanksgiving day!

I posted an add on Craig's List for chickens and became the new owner of 8 chickens ( 7 hens and 1 rooster) They are a lot of fun. A neighbor is hatching some chickens right now and is going to give me a few so my flock will be growing. I think I will need to make a better/bigger pen.

Hubby got on board with the garden, we now have a HUGE winter garden! He is making plans for a nice size spring/summer garden as well. We are going to try and get another good harvest off the fruit trees. They are in bad shape but maybe we can save them with a little TLC.

We just got 2 pigs! 1 for my oldest daughters 4H project and 1 for the freezer. They are so cute right now. They are only 35 pounds right now so they can be cute. I told my daughter we need to work with them now so that when they are 200 pounds they can be handled.

In a few weeks we will be getting lambs for our middle daughters 4H project. Again 1 for her and the other for the freezer. I also made a contact for 1/2 a beef at the end of summer. So as of now all the meat for the year is lined up.

I am still working hard at sticking to a pretty tight budget. The economy is just as bad here in the sticks of Northern California as it is everywhere else in the world. It will get better..... Someday :)

2 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

you sound so organized, so at least you will have meat in the freezer for later on in the year. What are you doing for meat now though?

Gill in Canada

Anonymous said...

staHello Gill,
First I wanted to say thank you for the visit.

As for our meat situation today, we still have pork from last years pig, and I picked up 1/2 a beef in late summer. My husband also is a hunter so we have lots to choose from. This year we are going to forgo the beef and hubby is going Elk hunting. That will be quite a bit of meat in the freezer.